Wednesday 30 December 2015

Christmas Break Project: Hultafors Axe Sheath

As promised - part two of my Christmas project!

This would be my first attempt at a sheath for an axe still in production - so hopefully it will allow me to work on future projects with this model.

The process I used was similar to the axes that I have done in the past. The leather used is 7-8oz vegetable tanned leather, saddle stitched, and reinforced with double capped rivets at high stress points on the corners of the welt.  The only difference between this sheath and the ones the previously is that I used line 20 size rivets as opposed to 24 for the horizontal flap to be in line with the size of the sheath.

Transferring my CAD template to leather


Adding my makers mark


All dyed and ready to punch and glue.

Saddle stitching


And now for the finished product: 




Hopefully Chris the sheath is to your liking, it will be making its way back to you soon!

On a side note I have also made a pair of stainless steel firesteels that will be available on my website - a bit of an experiment between a larger handle and very compact handle.  Get em while they're hot!




No comments:

Post a Comment